SCK CEN, The Belgian Nuclear Research Centre research towards a sustainable option

Pierre D'Hondt

    Research outputpeer-review

    Abstract

    Belgium has a longstanding nuclear history as is reflected in the nuclear power production. With a total capacity of 5600 MWe, available in seven nuclear power plants, Belgium produces some 55% of its electricity needs. The other 45% is mainly produced from gas and coal plants. SCK•CEN was founded in 1952 by a group of leading persons from universities, industry and administration. The main idea was the creation of an inter-university institute for nuclear physics and engineering that had close links with industry. To fulfill its role a large research infrastructure was gradually created: SCK•CEN had up to five research reactors, a Pu-lab and an infrastructure for waste treatment. All fundamental research disciplines were established. They concentrated on more nuclear aspects, while a large engineering department and the necessary support services were present to develop the infrastructure. This way SCK•CEN became a meeting point of academic and industrial communities around a nuclear infrastructure. Nowadays the activities of SCK•CEN are clustered around nuclear subjects that are socially relevant and that show the evolution of the nuclear energy field. Safety is the central subject, preparation for the back-end of the fuel cycle marks the activities and the future is being prepared.
    Original languageEnglish
    Title of host publicationWorld Scientific Proceedings Series on Computer Engineering and Information Science 1; Computational Intelligence in Decision and Control - Proceedings of the 8th International FLINS Conference
    Place of PublicationSingapore, Singapore
    Pages569-574
    Number of pages6
    Volume1
    DOIs
    StatePublished - 2008
    Event2008 - 8th International FLINS Conference on Computational Intelligence in Decision and Control - Madrid
    Duration: 21 Sep 200824 Sep 2008
    Conference number: FLINS 2008

    Publication series

    NameWorld Scientific Proceedings Series on Computer Engineering and Information Science
    NumberVol.-1

    Conference

    Conference2008 - 8th International FLINS Conference on Computational Intelligence in Decision and Control
    Country/TerritorySpain
    CityMadrid
    Period2008-09-212008-09-24

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Artificial Intelligence
    • Information Systems and Management
    • Control and Systems Engineering

    Cite this